Saturday, June 18, 2011

Louisville, KY

This week, I had a work event in Louisville, KY.  Paul decided to skip work and join me for the trip (our first night away from Andrew).  I was unfortunately sick for most of our short trip, but I did feel good enough to enjoy some wonderful meals.

Our favorite meal was lunch at Proof on Main (http://www.proofonmain.com/proof/default.aspx). I had the best quinoa I have ever tested (curried quinoa) and Paul had a bison burger.  We definitely want to go back there to check out their dinner menu. 
That night, we had dinner at Jack Frye's (http://www.jackfrys.com/) which is an old Louisville establishment that has a great vibe and excellent food.  We felt like we had gone back in time to the 60's. The restaurant was covered in old black and white photos and a jazz trio played in this tiny little corner. 

Jack Frye's was not walking distance from our hotel, so we got a cab both ways. On the way back, we rode in the most interesting cab I have ever been in. Every square each of the cab had been painted - including the vents and radio!  It was the craziest thing!  The driver told us that the artwork had been done by the previous owner - he must have had a lot of spare time on his hands.

Cab Dash

Close up of the artwork in the cab

The next day, after my event, we had lunch at Hilly Billy Tea (http://hillbillytea.com/).  That is the only tea house I know of where you can enjoy tea with smoked turkey legs!  Very odd little place, but a great meal.

Unfortunately, it was a short trip and my illness didn't allow us to do much else, but it was still nice to get some good meals (and a night off from Carrie's bedtime ritual).

No comments: